I had thought that I already had written a recipe like this, being that my fascination with hot chilis started over 25 years ago, but oh well. When I first started making salsas, I made some toooo hot, but found adding sour cream made them edible. Here I have laid out a basic recipe that is a base for other concoctions. I have made more cooked salsas, but for something ready to go I’ve found this general formula very useful.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped med. Roma tomatoes (this variety better for flavour)
- 1 large diced white onion
- 2 minced large jalapeno (or 4, if you like it hot)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice, or orange juice (not from concentrate!)
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1 TSP ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add all ingredients to glass or ceramic bowl
- Cover with plastic wrap or other item, like a plate
- Let sit in refrigerator for 4-6 hours for fullest flavour
Then serve on tacos, burritos, with chips or eggs. An epic fool-proof topping.
Enjoy! Thomas Gorman – April 2017
Part of ‘Tom’s Turkey Taco Ensemble’